Sunday, March 25, 2012

Montessori

Maria Montessori. I always have the best of intentions when it comes to teaching my children, but it seems sometimes I go about things in a different way or life gets in the way. We try to allow things to always be a teaching experience but lately I know I haven't been on par. So I have started allowing the boys to be more hands on (Despite germaphobia) Little Little is at the point where taste and touch are his number one senses for sensory learning, despite them both being a little on the gross side it draws him in and gives him even more interest in the world. "Montessori education is characterized by an emphasis on independence, freedom within limits, and respect for a child’s natural psychological development, as well as technological advancements in society." It's learning that is based on senses and experiencing things, it's more practical and hands on experience and less theory. Max starts Montessori Preschool in September and while I am dreading him being out and about in the world I am so excited that he is going to get this chance to learn and develope even more a love of the world and learning all about it. 
This week my goal is to introduce 2-3 new Montessori activities to each of the boys and keep up with it on a weekly basis. 
For Big Little we will be working on transferring (he mastered it long ago but LOVES to do it, plus the weather is nice) quantity and Germany, since we lived there for almost all of his life I figure that it's the perfect place to start!  We will do Map puzzles, practice some German, make a German food, and learn a little more about the German culture. Thanks to this book Hubs gave me I will let Big Little pick a country and we'll go from there! 
For Little Little we are going to work on transferring, (Items such as spoons to a bowl and back to a mat) "hide and object" to solidify object placement and body awareness (every time I touch a body part, such as toes I tell him what it is)
It's so amazing to watch the boys complete these tasks the confidence it instills in them is one of the most valuable things I can give them to teach them to be their own person who will believe in themselves.
My Favorite Montessori blogs are 
Sew Liberated (click the montessori link on her page, and her books are AMAZING for any of you crafters) 
And Chasing Cheerios This woman is chock full of ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment